Wednesday 3 October 2012

One thing at a time

I have mentioned more than a few times that I am not an artistic person. I don't draw, or paint or make handicrafts. I am not just being humble. I really don't know. I did not have the chance to learn any of these when I grew up.

But, I guess motherhood is about learning new things, ALWAYS and NON-STOP. So I try to learn and do some art & craft activities with Kah Yen. Not because I have the ambition of raising a great artist, or so that she can get more extra-curriculum points when she goes to school, No, I don't have any of these in my mind. It is simply because it is a fun and easy activity to do with toddlers, also a good time for bonding, and for training their fine motor skills and attention span.

So last Saturday we made a duck together, with a bit of drawing, cutting, coloring and pasting. I downloaded the black & white craft template from First School - Alphabet Worksheets and Activities, I cut out two egg shapes (small and big) for the head and main body, two identical heart shapes (in oval rather than round shape) for the wings, two identical stars for the feet, and a rounded rectangle for the mouth. Together we colored all of them in either yellow or blue, with me doing 90% of it. I then asked Kah Yen to help me apply glue to all the pieces, she was very enthusiastic and did most of it herself, except I have to keep telling her to apply on the correct side. As you can see from the below photo, she was applying glue on the color side instead.


We then pasted the different shapes on her notebook according to the picture sample, the interesting part was the mouth, which we need to glue half and fold half to create the 3D effect.

The craft was done in less than 30 minutes. It was really a simple idea but I enjoyed the time we spent together and I hope we will be able to do more in the future. This is nothing as compared to what Daddy did with Kah Yen, but, Mummy is learning, one thing at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment