Monday 12 August 2013

VBAC

I was quite disappointed when my new gynae told me during our last check up to choose a date for Caesarean. He did not bother to ask us if we'd like to go for a normal delivery. The way he brought it up is as if normal delivery is not even an option to consider.

Ever since the beginning of this pregnancy, I have been mentally preparing myself for a normal delivery for this baby. I wanted a normal delivery for my first baby too but her position was breech, which left us with no option but an operation.

I have been reading about VBAC - Vaginal birth after Ceasarean. It is highly possible and many people have done it. And I think I should be a good candidate for VBAC, given that my first operation was due to baby's position rather than birth complications. I am still relatively young. I am healthy and active. And so far there isn't any complications throughout this pregnancy.

But, my gynae seems to prefer to avoid risk. When I asked him if it's possible to go for natural delivery. He simply brushed it off saying "There is risk.". Certainly there is risk. There is risk in everything we do, even for a completely healthy person to give birth through normal delivery for the first time, that could be risk too. From what I read I know the biggest fear of VBAC is uterine rupture, where the scar tissues of the uterus opens during pushing, which calls for an emergency C section to save mother and baby's life. This of course sounds very serious, but statistically the risk of uterus rupture is less than 1 percent. Every day you drive on the road there is risk of accident too but do people stop driving because of that?

I was so torn. Should I insist on trying normal delivery, or should I listen to the doctor? Or should I go back to my old gynae to have another opinion? I changed gynae not because of anything else but distance.

I am not trying to be a super woman, wanting to go for a natural delivery and show the world what I can do. No. I just want a shorter recovery so that I can be more attentive to my daughter Kah Yen during the transitional stage. She is already being robbed most of me due to the arrival of her baby brother, I will feel really bad if I have to be bed-rested for 2 weeks and couldn't bath her and play toys with her when she comes back from school.

I have a toddler in the house, that's why I want a natural delivery. Not out of my selfish desire, but out of a mother's love for her children.

What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment